Tuesday, June 26, 2001

613 on amazon...SOLD OUR FIRST BOOKS THROUGH OUR SITE! Four right now, but waiting until 4 pm. or so to get a first "day" total...PowerPoint indexes are wrong on the books; God it never ends...Bob is at PC Expo...2700 sessions yesterday, and we sent out over 1800 tips of the day...need to check to see if we are making it easy enough to send it to a friend...

Almost forgot this priceless e-mail we got when we started sending the tip of the day:
"Wendy,
I am writing to this address because it is the address given for those who have a problem. My problem is the SPAM you sent me and possibly intend to send me in the future. I am defining SPAM as unsolicited email. I signed up for a weekly newsletter. I did not sign up for a Tip of the Day nor an automatic subscription to any other piece of tripe published by Nerdy Books. I will go through the gyration of sending a remove me message but why should I have to? It seems the "courteous" thing to do would be to offer me the opportunity to join if I choose (as you did in Volume 1 Issue 11) and leave it at that.Instead in your infinite and prepossessing wisdom, you made the decision to subscribe for me, and forced me to unsubscribe if I think I know more about my wants and needs than you do. According to your published privacy policy: "We will not use your personal information for promotional purposes unless you specifically allow us to do so. " Please permit me to state plainly...You do NOT have permission to use my e-mail address to send anything other than the newsletter to which I have subscribed. Certain terms (tripe) may appear harsh, but harsh is the only way I choose to deal with SPAMMERS and regardless of your own definition, when you send me unauthorized and unsolicited mail saying I have to unsubscribe in order not to receive it in the future, YOU ARE A SPAMMER."
Isn't that great?!?!? Too much time on his hands.